Saturday, July 10, 2010

cutting the back braces

The back braces are a vocal point of the chair as is the seat, headrest and arms so I want to pick the material with the most eye appeal.  The process for cutting the thin strips for the back braces is the same as for the rockers.  The difference is in the thickness of the strips.  You will need 7 total back braces.  Each brace will be made of 4 pcs.  The strips should be about 3/8" divided by 4 or .375 (3/8") divided by 4 = .094 each.  When all 4 strips are laminated together they should be 3/8" total.  I will be drilling  3/8" holes in the seat and the bottom of the headrest for each brace.  In summary, I will cut 28 strips, actually 30 strips as I like to make a few extra, 1 1/2" wide by .094 in thick about 33" long.  Take your time in selecting your wood for the braces.  I like to cut from 1 wide piece and match the front and back of each brace so when they are all laminated and in place on your chair you will see the grain matching.  Your material stock can be 4/4 keeping in mind that you won't see the surface of the 2 inner laminations.  First rip your wide stock to 1 1/2" wide pcs.  A 10"  x 33" pc will work.  Mark the front and back of the material before ripping so you can match the grain of all 7 strips.  When I have the braces all glued up I will then rip them down to 1 3/8" wide.  I start with 1 1/2" wide knowing that the glue up will not be perfect but I can use my joiner to plane one edge straight and the rip to the desired width.
These are my back brace glue up forms.  I will glue up two complete braces at a time.  Use wax paper inbetween braces and your forms so the squeezed out glue will not adhere to them.  The small piece on the top form is my template for the ends of each brace.  You can also see the spreading glue bottle I use.  It rolls the glue out in a nice even layer.  The back braces and rockers should be made early on as each glue up requires an overnight before unclamping from the forms.  You could make multiple forms if you have enough clamps.  I have plenty enough to do while the braces and rockers are in the clamping stage.
This pic shows the grain pattern in the finished back braces.  You will notice the cut ends and how I shaped them into a 3/8" round end.  I cut the end profile on the bandsaw, clean up the cut with the spindle sander and then using a 3/8" plug cutter to make the final shape that will fit into the headrest and seat holes.


No comments:

Post a Comment