Wednesday, March 24, 2010

carving out the seat profile




I make the top and bottom dado's on the leg notches next. Using a matched 1" diameter 1/4"dado bit will give me a 1/4" dado with a 1/2" rounded inside corner. When routing these dados take small passes until you get to the final bearing cut. Don't go so slow as to burn the wood. I will clamp some scrap pieces to the edges to protect them from blowout or chiping. They also help to guide the router bearing up to the actual cutting area so you don't round the outside corner.




I now have the seat pieces glue'd up with the front profile cut. For the front profile, I measure in about 1" centered on each half of the seat. There isn't anything special about this curve so you can make it whatever you want but I wouldn't go more than 1". If the curve is too steep it will hurt the back of your legs when sitting. Now comes the dusty grinding carving part. I take the seat outside for this next step.
I use a "Kutzall" disc in my 4" grinder. This takes a little practice so grab a scrap and just start carving. I will make sweeping grindes in an arc that follows my template. This disc can be very aggressive or very light. I was hesitant at first but then after many uses I got to the point of using it on other areas. I will also use the Kutzall on the headrest and front seat profile. Sometimes I am a little more daring and use it on the leg to seat profile at the joints. Before grabbing the grinder I will mark out the seat high and low points, the back radius and sides. Time to grab the seat template again.


No comments:

Post a Comment